Jackie Mead (Community Champion Tesco) donates fruit to Kate Barnes (Practice Manager Greenway Community Practice) for Self Care Week with Joan Divall Patient Participation Group Member looking on.
The Patients Participation Group (PPG) ran their fourth event this year with a Self Care Week at the Greenway Community Practice on November 12th – 16th 2018
Self Care week encourages patients to be responsible for their care and provides information on healthy eating, exercise and leisure activities and how to cope with many health conditions. Information leaflets covering these areas were provided and members of the PPG talked to patients, handed out relevant information and free fruit – which turned out to be very popular!.
The fruit for the week was generously supplied by Tesco and organised by their Community Champion Jackie Earls.
Who are the Patients Participation Group?
This is a group of volunteer patients who work with the GP Practice to help the Practice improve its services by for example :-
- Providing the patients’ perspective on the Practice
- Helping patients to keep themselves healthier
- Helping the Practice to support more Patients to keep appointments.
What do the Patients Participation Group do apart from organise Self Care Week?
Some examples of the work they do:-
- Have a ‘Small Grants Fund’ which is money that has been raised by staff and patients at the Practice. This money is available as a grant to local organisations (eg schools and clubs). If your organisation is interested in funding please contact the PPG.
- Organising a volunteer driver scheme to take patients to hospital if they would otherwise have difficulty getting there.
- Organised celebrations for the NHS’s 70th birthday
What is involved in being a member of the PPG?
We would love you to join us! We meet about three times a year to discuss what’s going on, and then you can do as much or as little as you like. Members can often be found manning a stall for an hour or so or helping to arrange an event. And then there is the Christmas social event at one of the local pubs which is unsurprisingly very popular.
PPG firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to anyone at the Practice
Small Grants Fund application forms can be downloaded from http://www.greenwaycommunitypractice.nhs.uk/